Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Who's Gonna Save the World.... Part Two

Okay, sorry for the hiatus. Now where was I? Oh yeah, my list.

2. We appreciate our American citizenship. Go back to Africa is not a good comeback to this whole racism debate. Yes, I am an American citizen. I am also black or an African-American for lack of better terms. No, I have never lived in Africa, have never been to Africa, but I do hope to visit the motherland one day. Unfortunately, for me (and other black Americans) my ancestors were uprooted from their homeland and savagely shipped to a foreign land with different languages, different customs, and an entirely different culture. Therefore, we created our own which is entirely separate from many cultures in the different countries of Africa. No, we cannot just go back. I don't speak Swahili. I appreciate the significant steps that American citizens of every color have made to ensure that our country is really equal towards everyone. HOWEVER, this does not mean that our work is done. Just because our living conditions are better than many countries does not mean we stop striving for excellence.

Well, I think I pretty much covered some specific things that were bothering me. In the end, we all want the same thing -our children to grow up in a beautiful world, being able to achieve anything that their little hearts desire. Regardless, of what most think, I know it might be a little harder for my children with the present state of the world. I've learned that people are pretty stubborn. I once read somewhere that by the age of 21, we've pretty much lost most of our imagination. We just accept the harsh realities given to us by everyone else. I refuse to accept this. The fiery rebel in me lives on promoting discussion on those topics that we try to keep out of our jobs and our schools. Even if my words only impact one person, or you disagree with my opinions, at least you've heard another perspective. Communication is the only possible i'll ever succeed in change for if not my children, then maybe my children's children. So I guess, I will save the world, if you won't help me.

P.S. If you've never read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho you should really read it.

No comments: